Smartphone ownership within the United Stated has increased over time 1 including among gay, bisexual, along with other males who possess intercourse with males (MSM)2. Smartphone geosocial-networking applications (“apps”) can be used among MSM to meet up sexual partners 3,4. Increased use of smart phones combined with typical utilization of apps to get intimate lovers led CDUHR detective Dr. Dustin Duncan along with his collaborators to review the relationships between app usage and intimate wellness among MSM.
Characterizing App Utilize
Among an example of young black colored MSM living in Gulfport, Mississippi; Jackson, Mississippi; and brand New Orleans, Louisiana, 76% utilized apps. Those who utilized apps reported their most frequently used apps as Jack’d (69.8%) followed closely by Adam4Adam (41.5%) and Grindr (35.9%). Individuals used on average 8.2 apps that are different spent on average 2.1 hours in the apps daily. Although a minority (17%) utilized apps to find intimate lovers, the typical amount of “app-met partners” with who they engaged in insertive sexual intercourse was 1.19; nearly 1 / 3rd for the encounters had been condomless. Also, over one fourth of individuals had been unacquainted with the HIV status of these partners that are app-met. High amounts of condomless lack and sex of awareness of partners’ HIV status warrant investigation of intimate risk using among app-using MSM 5.
Contextualizing App Utilize</p>
Intimate risk among software MSM that is using ended up being making use of a test of 174 app-using MSM in new york. The analysis addressed 6 contextual facets pertaining to app usage and investigated the partnership between these facets and intercourse that is condomless. A big part (63.2%) utilized apps when experiencing sad, when alcohol that is using51.1%) as soon as making use of any medications (25.9%). Individuals had been almost certainly going to take part in both insertive and receptive condomless intercourse whenever apps were getting used when working with any medications or when working with apps for transactional sexual encounters 6.
Fighting HIV through App Utilize
Apps show their possible effectiveness among scientists and medical care providers trying to reduce the danger of HIV among MSM. Among an example of 169 app-using MSM in London, 63.9% reported willingness to make use of apps for HIV avoidance, and specifically apps to serve as reminders for HIV screening. Willingness to utilize apps for HIV prevention had been greater the type of reporting current binge consuming and club drug use 7 that is recent.
Current geosocial-networking applications have now been utilized to produce HIV-related interventions 8 and also have the prospective to be utilized for other MSM health issues substance usage, intimate partner violence, and intimate danger using. App-based intimate wellness interventions focusing on MSM should really be developed, offered MSM’s willingness to make use of apps for HIV prevention.
- Pew Analysis Center. Social media marketing Utilize Will Continue To Increase in Developing Nations, but Plateaus Around Developed Ones. June 2018. http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2018/06/15135408/Pew-Research-Center_Global-Tech-Social-Media-Use_2018.06.19.pdf. Accessed 24 Sept 2018.
- Grov C, Ventuneac The, Rendina HJ, Jimenez RH, Parsons JT. Perceived need for five various health problems for homosexual and bisexual guys: Implications for brand new instructions in wellness training and avoidance. United states Journal of Men’s Wellness. 2013;7(4):274-284.
- Goedel WC, Duncan DT. Geosocial-networking app usage habits of gay, bisexual, as well as other men that have intercourse with guys: Survey among users of grindr, a dating app that is mobile. JMIR Public Wellness andSurveillance. 2015; 1(1):e4.
- Queiroz, Artur Acelino Francisco Luz Nunes, de Sousa, Бlvaro Francisco Lopes, de Araъjo, Telma Maria Evangelista, de Oliveira, Francisco Braz Milanez, Moura MEB, Reis RK. Overview of risk behaviors for HIV disease by males that have intercourse with guys through geosocial networking phone apps. Journal for the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care.2017;28(5):807-818.
- Duncan DT, Park SH, Hambrick HR, et al. Characterizing geosocialnetworking software use among young black colored males that have intercourse with males: A multi-city cross-sectional survey in the southern united states of america. JMIR mHealth and uHealth. 2018;6(6):e10316.
- Goedel WC, Duncan DT. Contextual facets in geosocial-networking application that is smartphone and engagement in condomless anal sex among homosexual, bisexual, along with other males who possess intercourse with males who utilize grindr. Intimate Wellness. 2016;13(6):549-554.
- Goedel WC, Mitchell JW, Krebs P, Duncan DT. Willingness to make use of cell phone apps for HIV prevention among males that have sex with guys in London: Web-based study. JMIR mHealth and uHealth. 2017; 5(10):e15.
- Cao B, Gupta S, Wang J, Hightow-Weidman LB, Muessig KE, Tang W, Pan S, Pendse R, Tucker JD. Social networking Interventions to market HIV Testing, Linkage, Adherence, and Retention: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Med Web Res. 2017;19(11):e394.
For more info, contact Dustin Duncan at firstname.lastname@example.org
This work ended up being sustained by NIDA (P30DA011041, PIs: Deren & Hagan); My Brother’s Keeper, Inc; Wilfred L and Ruth SF Peltz Research Scholarship, granted through the newest York University College of Arts and Science Dean’s Undergraduate Research Fund (PI: William C Goedel); and nyc University class of Medicine Start-Up analysis Fund.
The guts for Drug utilize and HIV analysis (CDUHR) can be an interdisciplinary research center that concentrates on general general public medical issues associated with HIV, hepatitis C, and medication usage.
Center for Drug utilize and HIV analysis NYU university of Global Public wellness 665 Broadway, 11th Floor ny , NY 10012
Mobile: 212.992.6741 Fax: 212.995.4877 E-MAIL